Monday, September 15, 2008

Remembering 9/11

I took Brayden and Brinnley and their Cousin Cassidy today to Sandy City to see all the flags at City Hall to commemorate 9/11. I had never been before, but was glad that I finally went. It was so neat to see all the flags flying to honor those who died that day. It brought tears to my eyes, and brought back so many feelings. The kids were wondering what all the flags were for, and why I was so sad. Cassidy thought it was because we were at war. I then told them about that dreaded day. Since none of them were born when this happened they couldn't wrap their minds around it. Come to think of it I still don't understand either.

When we got home I looked on the Internet to show them pictures, and to find a video to help them understand. Brayden thought that it was just a movie. He told me "It's OK Mom, it's not real. It's like Jurassic Park. Looks pretty cool. It's got all those special effects." I explained to him that it was in fact for real and that we should never forget what happened that day. So that it couldn't ever happen again.


Brayden has been learning the Pledge of Allegiance at school, and I thought it would be neat for him to recite it with all the flags around him. It blows my mind that he has memorized it. I sure to him it has no meaning yet. Especially since he probably has no idea what Liberty, or Republic, or indivisible means. Still though I think he is a pretty neat kid to have it memorized by the age of 4.


3 comments:

Nikki said...

Thats neat he has memorized it, and hes only 4. Carter is 4 and is still trying to get all the words in the right place. I think thats neat you took your kids so thay can see we will never forget.

Steve and Kenna said...

I took my kids to the flags at Sandy City in 2002. It is a very humbling experience. That is very cool that he has already memorized the Pledge of Allegiance.

Amanda said...

What a great Mom you are. We were trying to think of how to mention 9/11 to Shelby and we thought she's still too little to understand it. I'm SO proud of you for taking them there. I still get teary when I think of that day and can't even imagine what all the families went through. My cousin has been to Iraq with the Air Force 3 times and he came back a different person. I can't even fathom what it must be like...
I'm so happy to see Brayden recite the pledge of alligence. What a smarty!!!